As I know you’ve seen on the news and the internet and Facebook, all the flooding and everything associated with it down in Houston is absolutely heartbreaking – and it’s not even finished yet. My sister and her family just moved up to Dallas from Houston a few weeks ago, thankfully, and I’m so glad they’re up here. But they are hearing from friends and people they know down there and it’s just really really sad. And I want to help all of them!
But I don’t have a boat.
Or really the skills that I feel are needed for something like this.
Or celebrity-level money to donate.
But I do want to help out in the small way that I can (because the small things can really add up). So I’ve been searching the internet for ways that I can help and I wanted to share them with you, in case you wanted to help out in a small but meaningful way, too.
- Buy this shirt. Magnolia is donating 100% of profits from the sale of this shirt to Harvey disaster relief.
- Sponsor a family in need. I saw this on the Sugar & Cloth blog and they will match you with a family and share specifically what they need.
- Donate money. There are so many organizations you can donate to, this is just one (set up by JJ Watt- I’m sure you’ve already seen his videos on your Facebook feed).
- Offer a room in your home. Airbnb is waiving fees for listing a room or your entire home to evacuees. The people in need are also able to use these at no cost, which is awesome.
- Buy more shirts… soon. This Texas company donated 100% of its profits for a day and raised a lot of money! They said they’ll be doing another fundraiser in the near future, so I’ll be keeping my eyes peeled for that.
- Foster an animal. Dallas is getting a lot of animals from the gulf coast that need temporary homes while they can’t be with their owners for the time being.
- Go out to eat. This is another one for Dallas locals, but this is a list of restaurants in the area that will be donating profits and collecting donations to take down to Houston.
It doesn’t seem like much, I know, but I’m excited to help in any way that I can. I can’t even fathom what these people are going through and what it would be like, and I know that every little bit can help.